Photograph by Bob Brink
by Rudolf Uher
Gordon Pinsent Centre for the Arts, Grand Falls-Windsor
3 Cromer Ave., Grand Falls-Windsor, NL A2A 1W9
The double-sided relief bronze sculpture by Rudolf Uher is located outside the Gordon Pinsent Centre for the Arts. The piece measures 33 3/4 inches high, 79 inches in length, and 4 1/2 inches thick. It was displayed in the area in front of the Czechoslovakian Pavilion at Expo '67 in Montreal. Curator Vladimira Büngerová described Uher’s horizontal relief as “an impression of movement with openings and elementary natural signs in the minimalist, reduced shapes” in her article on artworks presented by Slovak artists at Expo 67. You can follow the link to find additional references about the Czechoslovakian Pavilion at Expo 67 in Montreal.
When the Pavilion was disassembled for transportation to Newfoundland, this sculpture was one of the artworks included in the delivery. The section of the exhibition area of the Pavilion was rebuilt to become the Grand Falls Arts and Culture Centre, housing a theatre, a gallery and a public library. It was renamed the Gordon Pinsent Centre for the Arts in 2005.
Rudolf Uher was born in 1913 in Slovakia. He was selected to show his work at the Vennice Biennale in 1966, and in other group exhibits across Eastern Europe. His sculptures can be found in six museum collections across the globe.